Data Protection Policy
The purpose of this Policy is to outline the measures set in place by the Board of Management of Swords Educate Together N. S. to protect the rights of individuals with regard to the personal data relating to them which are held by the school. It includes the type of data the school may collect and hold, how it is used and stored and with whom the data is shared. It covers all information or data stored in.
- Word Processor documents
- Structured storage systems – e.g. filing cabinets
In processing this information the BOM of SETNS recognises the importance of the legislation enacted in the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003.
The data covers all information about individuals in which these individuals can readily be identified. It includes current pupils and their parents/guardians, pre-enrolled pupils and their parents/guardians and school employees. It may also include data relating to members of BOM, PTA, donors and Educate Together (the Patron Body)
Data Relating to Current Pupils
- Child’s name, address, date of birth
- PPS number
- Position in family
- Religion (if declared)
- Names of Parents/Guardians
- Home phone number, work numbers, mobile numbers.
- Emergency names and contact details
- School report booklets
- Assessment Test results
- Psychologists report
- Details of pre-schooling and/or previous school
- Known Special Needs
- Health Information, permission for administration of medicine and permission to contact emergency services
- Copy of birth certificate
- Sign-up to Code of Positive Behaviour
- Attendance record
The above information will be used for general school records and will be disclosed only to the following disclosees:
- Board of Management of SETNS
- Department of Education and Science (DES)
- National Educational Psychological Service (NEPS)
- Health Board
- Patron Body (Educate Together)
- National Educational Welfare Board (NEWB)
Data Relating to Pre-enrolled Pupils
- Child’s name, address and date of birth
- Year and class for which the child is enrolled
- Names and addresses of parents/guardians
- Parents’/guardians’ phone numbers and e-mail address
The above data will be used for purposes of correspondence with parents/guardians and for analysis of future staff requirements. It will be disclosed only to the following:
- Health Board
- Patron Body
Data Relating to Teaching Staff and All Ancillary Staff in SETNS.
- Name and address
- Date of birth
- Home phone number, mobile number and e-mail address
- PPS number
- Bank details – for payment of salary
- Marital status
- Recruitment documentation including References, C.V.s, Qualifications, Educational and Teaching and Work Experience
- Garda clearance – as appropriate and possible
Data relating to Staff employed in SETNS will be used for administration purposes and will be disclosed only to BOM, Patron Body and DES and Emergency Services.
It is the responsibility of the Board of Management of Swords Educate Together N. S. to ensure that:
- All data is obtained and processed fairly.
Data subjects should be made aware to the policy regarding information disclosed to the school as early as the enrolment process.
- Data is kept only for lawful and specific purposes and will be used only in ways that are compatible with these purposes.
- All data is kept safe and secure
Access to all data is restricted to authorised staff and is disclosed on a “need to know” basis.
Computer systems will be password protected.
Back-up procedures will operate for computer-held data.
Staff will be made aware of security measures and will comply with them.
All waste paper, printouts etc. will be disposed of carefully.
Premises will be secure when unoccupied.
Information on computer screens and manual files will be kept hidden from callers to the school.
- Data is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
Periodic reviews and audits will be held to ensure that data is kept up-to-date.
- Data is kept for no longer than is necessary.
- Data is relevant, adequate and not excessive.
- The school will register annually as a data controller with the Data Protection Commissioner.
- A data subject i.e. parent/guardian or member of staff is given a copy of his/her personal data on written request.
This Policy will be reviewed at a later date and may be revised or updated to take into account changes in legislation.